[ Content | View menu ]

Archive for 'it could be called work'

Building uniconvertor on OS X, post Snow Leopard

June 17, 2013

I have been doing some work with laser cutting and to that end, I need to translate files from Inkscape’s native SVG format to other formats, like plt or eps. For quite some time now, this has been failing, as the uniconvertor team — who supply the internal translation functions — have let their code […]

it could be called work - Comments closed

swap usage monitor

May 20, 2013

Wrote this little thing to keep an eye on how swap usage grows. I find that when it exceeds physical RAM, things get boggy. #!/bin/sh PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin: LAST=`who -b | cut -c18-50` RAM=`system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep Memory | awk ‘{ print $2 * 1024 }’ ` TOTAL=`du -m /var/vm/* | grep swap | awk ‘{total = […]

it could be called work - Comments closed

I had this idea 30+ years ago

May 14, 2013

A new emerging concept known as hybrid solar lighting may offer an effective way of routing daylight deep into buildings. Using parabolic reflectors, direct sunlight can be concentrated on a smaller mirror which after removing most of the Infra red component (which can be extracted as electricity), reflects a very focused beam of visible light […]

it could be called work - Comments closed

network tuning, OS X Leopard edition

May 13, 2013

I had occasion to fire up an old PPC iMac G5 (OS X 10.5.8) the other week and was appalled at how slowly it performed at network access. So here’s what I did to fix it. Per Scott Rolande, there are tunable values for many aspects of the TCP stack. Handily, they live in a […]

it could be called work - Comments closed